American Lung Association Better Breather Club Support Group
The American Lung Association provides a free support group for persons with COPD and other lung diseases and their caregivers. The Better Breathers Club will give persons with lung disease the opportunity to learn ways to better cope while getting the support of others who share in their struggles. These support groups give members the tools they need to live the best quality of life they can.
Better Breathers Clubs meet regularly and feature educational presentations on a wide range of relevant topics, including: how COPD affects the lungs, breathing techniques, exercise, talking with their physician, medications and other treatment options, medical tests, supplemental oxygen, home health care, lung transplants, air pollution. Topics that are selected are usually suggested by the Better Breathers Club participants.
If a person with lung disease feels alone and isolated, these support groups can help. It feels good to talk with others who understand. Sharing their experiences can also have a positive impact on their health.
There are eight Better Breathers Clubs in Vermont:
- Barre: Central Vermont Home Health and Hospice; 600 Granger Road, Barre; 3rd Tuesday 1:30pm-3:30 pm.
Contact: Kim Lague, PT 1-802-223-1878
- Bennington: WIC Office, Community Room; 324 Main Street, Bennington; 1st Monday 3:30 pm.
Contact: Kasey Foxley 1-802-440-8125
- Brattleboro: Brattleboro Memorial Hospital; 17 Belmont Avenue, Brattleboro; 3rd Monday 1:30 pm-3:00pm.
Contact: Jeff Harr, PT 1-802-25-8331
- Burlington: Starr Farm Nursing Home; 98 Starr Farm Road, Burlington; 2nd Tuesday 1:30 pm-3:00pm.
Contact: Joan Dusablon, CRT 1-802-658-6717
- Morrisville: Copley Hospital; 528 Washington Parkway, Morrisville; 2nd Wednesday 3:00pm- 5:00pm.
Contact: Steve Cothalis, RRT 1-802-888-8637
- Newport: North Country Hospital; 189 Prouty Drive, Newport; 3rd Tuesday 1:30 pm-3:00pm.
Contact: Amy Poutre, RRT 1-802-334-7331
- Rutland: PACE; 3 General Wing Drive, Rutland; 1st Thursday 2:00 pm-3:00pm.
Contact: Jessica Hubbard 1-802-775-2577
- St. Johnsbury: Northeastern Vermont Regional Hospital; 1315 Hospital Drive, St. Johnsbury; 2nd Wednesday. 6:00pm.
Contact: Lew Apgar 1-802-626-0321